Halloween is just around the corner! You know what that means.. lots of candy and treats to send your blood sugar soaring right before you crash and burn.
But is doesn’t have to be that way. Follow my healthy halloween tricks to crash-proof your holiday.
1. Stay hydrated by drinking half your weight in ounces of water.
You’ve gotta stay hydrated. Running from store to store trying to find a decent last minute halloween costume – plus buying treats for all the kids that will soon be knocking on your door – can be a bit stressful. Carry your water bottle with you and sip throughout the day to stay hydrated. Always aim for at least half you weight in ounces of water.
Example: 150 lb woman needs 75 fl oz of water daily.
2. Have a healthy, low-glycemic snack before taking the kids trick or treating.
Don’t starve yourself all day so you can treat yourself with a few pieces of candy later. You’ll only end up inhaling every piece your child picks over. Do yourself a favor and eat healthy, low-glycemic meals and snacks throughout the day. Having a snack that keeps your blood sugar level will prevent you from scarfing down all of that halloween candy and will allow you to treat yourself without going overboard.
Some great snack ideas include: a handful of raw nuts or seeds (pumpkin seeds are plentiful this time of year), a low-glycemic nutrition bar, edammame or raw veggies with hummus.
3. If you do over-indulge – get your body and mind back on track with a fall cleanse.
Don’t get down on yourself if you raided your child’s halloween pail and ate every last piece – it can happen to the best of us. I mean, you kept your child from eating all of that candy, right? (Don’t you love justifications?)
Of course, the best thing to do is to follow my first two steps in hopes of preventing that. Even so, we all need a good cleaning out every now and then and the fall season is a perfect time for doing just that.
I just happen to know of a fantastic fall cleanse that will do all of the following and more (shameless plug) 😉
- boost your immunity to prepare for the cold and flu season
- control cravings, hunger and mood swings by balancing your blood sugar (something everyone should do to prepare for the holidays)
- lose 4-5 lbs in the first 5 days and 5-8 lbs total after 14 days
- increase your energy – you’ll be ready for all of the traveling, shopping and cooking that comes with the holidays
- acheieve a more healthy, glowing complexion from detoxing and proper nutrition = picture perfect skin!
- get the full details here
Have a happy, fun and safe Halloween!
If you enjoyed these tips please share using the buttons below! 🙂