Oh, I just love quinoa, don’t you? It’s so versatile you can toss quinoa into almost anything.. stir fry, porridge, soup, salad.. the list goes on and on. It also happens to go perfectly in this recipe which is packed with flavor AND nutrition.
If you haven’t learned the secret cooking method for quinoa you should check out this blog post first. You’ll learn how to cook quinoa perfect every time! Then, come back here and whip up this delicious dish! Be sure to check out the tips at the end for a fun dinner idea.
Sweet Potato & Black Bean Quinoa Bowl
- 1 medium sweet potato peeled and chopped
- 1 cup cooked black beans
- 1-2 cups cooked quinoa
- 1/2-1 avocado, pitted and chopped
- 1 roma tomato, diced
- 1/2 juice of a lime (lemon works, too)
- 1/2 Tbsp ground cumin
- sea salt to taste
- dash of onion and garlic powder (optional)
- fresh cilantro or parsley, minced
- Toss chopped sweet potato with some oil (coconut works well), pinch of sea salt and cumin. Spread on a roasting pan and roast at 375 degrees for 10-20 minutes until golden brown. Time will depend on your oven. I like mine slightly charred – it brings out the natural sugars.
- Meanwhile, mix avocado, tomato, lime juice, onion and garlic powder together in a separate bowl. (Add a dash of cumin and ground cayenne pepper to spice it up if you want.)
- When the sweet potatoes are done set aside.
- Assemble your bowl. Add the quinoa, black beans, sweet potatoes and avocado mix in a bowl and toss together.
- Serve with an extra squeeze of lime juice and pinch of salt. Garnish with fresh cilantro or parsley.
This is a fun dinner for the whole family or for when you have guests over. Make sure to double or triple the ingredients according to how many people you’re serving. Keep all of the ingredients in separate bowls and serve buffet-style so everyone can personalize their own.
- diced red bell pepper
- diced green onions
- shredded cheese
- shredded lettuce
- sour cream or plain yogurt
- salsa or pico de gallo
- hot sauce